Greg Cormier wrote:
Any reason 0.9 is the default? Should I be worried about using 1.0
superblocks? And can I "upgrade" my array from 0.9 to 1.0 superblocks?

Do understand that Neil may have other reasons... but mainly the 0.9 format is the default because it is most widely supported and allows you to use new mdadm versions on old distributions (I still have one FC1 machine!). As for changing metadata on an existing array, I really can't offer any help.
Thanks,
Greg