Yes, I must have missed that. I've only been on the mailing list for a
week or so. I did go through some of the archives though. I keep my
kernel up to date, usually within a few days of a release.

The 3ware and Areca cards sound nice, but I could buy quite a few drives
for the price of those cards (for a 12 port card). Which is what made me
start seriously considering software raid. Plus, from what I understand,
with software raid it is easier to change out server parts than it is
with hardware raid, i.e. swapping controllers or motherboard, etc.

After reading a few responses that I have gotten, it sounds like a
budget based *raid* card from a good vender with good linux support
might be the best option to get a good number of ports on a PCIe
interface, and have it work well with linux, all well being cheaper than
a full blown hardware raid solution.

Thanks for the info and I will have a look at the cards you mentioned.

Lyle