[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Grandi) writes:

> ms> I just want to give another suggestion. It may or may not be
> ms> possible to repair inconsistent arrays but in either way some
> ms> code there MUST at least warn the administrator that
> ms> something (may) went wrong.
>
> tn> Agreed.
>
> That sounds instead quite extraordinary to me because it is not
> clear how to define ''inconsistency'' in the general case never
> mind detect it reliably, and never mind knowing when it is found
> how to determine which are the good data bits and which are the
> bad.

I don't quite follow you. Having a basic consistency check utility for
a raid array is to me as obvious as having an fsck utility for a file
system.

> Now I am starting to think that this discussion is based on the
> curious assumption that storage subsystems should solve the so
> called ''byzantine generals'' problem, that is to operate reliably
> in the presence of unreliable communications and storage.

I don't think anyone is proposing to solve that problem. However, an
occasional slight nod in acknowledgment of the fact that real world
communications and storage *are* unreliable wouldn't be out of place.

--
Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert