Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

According to man md(4), the o2 is likely to offer the best combination of read and write performance. Why would you consider f2 instead?

f2 is faster for read, most systems spend more time reading than writing.

According to md(4), offset "should give similar read characteristics to 'far' if a suitably large chunk size is used, but without as much seeking for writes."

Is the man page not correct, conditionally true, or simply not understood by me (most likely case)?

I wonder what "suitably large" is...

My personal experience is that as chunk gets larger random write gets slower, sequential gets faster. I don't have numbers any more, but 20-30% is sort of the limit of what I saw for any chunk size I consider reasonable. f2 is faster for sequential reading, tune your system to annoy you least. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still