----- Message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] ---------
    Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:58:55 -0000
    From: Steve Fairbairn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: Disk failure during grow, what is the current state.
      To: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org

As you can see, one of the original 5 devices has failed (sdd1) and
automatically removed.  The reshape has stopped, but the new disk seems
to be in and clean which is the bit I don't understand.  The new disk
hasn't been added to the size, so it would seem that md has switched it
to being used as a spare instead (possibly as the grow hadn't
completed?).

How come it seems to have recovered so nicely?
Is there something I can do to check it's integrity?
Was it just so much quicker than 2 days because it switched to only
having to sort out the 1 disk? Would it be safe to run an fsck to check
the integrity of the fs?  I don't want to inadvertently blat the raid
array by 'using' it when it's in a dodgy state.

I have unmounted the drive for the time being, so that it doesn't get
any writes until I know what state it is really in.

----- End message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----

If a drive failes during reshape the reshape will just continue.
The blocks which were on the failed drive are calculated from the the other disks and writes to the failed disk are simply omitted.
The result is a raid5 with a failed drive.
You should get a new drive asap to restore the redundancy.
Also it's kinda important that you don't run 2.6.23 because it has a nasty bug which would be triggered in this scenario. The reshape probably increased in speed after the system was no longer actively used and io bandwidth freed up.
Kind regards,
Alex.

#    _  __          _ __     http://www.nagilum.org/ \n icq://69646724 #
#   / |/ /__ ____ _(_) /_ ____ _  [EMAIL PROTECTED] \n +491776461165 #
#  /    / _ `/ _ `/ / / // /  ' \  Amiga (68k/PPC): AOS/NetBSD/Linux   #
# /_/|_/\_,_/\_, /_/_/\_,_/_/_/_/   Mac (PPC): MacOS-X / NetBSD /Linux #
#           /___/     x86: FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris/Win2k  ARM9: EPOC EV6 #

cakebox.homeunix.net - all the machine one needs..