From: Stanley, Jeremy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 03, 1999 9:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: partition size limit

I think you meant 'if you're NOT really concerned about performance.'
The benchmarks I've seen for array controllers come nowhere near the
performance of a software-based array on a simple SMP server.  For one
thing, the processor on, say, a DPT or ICP RAID controller is nowhere
near as powerful as an Intel Celeron, much less a DEC Alpha.  Comments?
--
 Jeremy Stanley                  Trend CMHS
Network Engineer          http://www.trendcmhs.org

 The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily
represent those of Trend CMHS or Trend Foundation.

   "I program my homecomputer; beam myself into
          the future." --Kraftwerk, 1981

[clip]

> and if you're really concerned about performance, I'd suggest a
> hardware-based RAID setup (either RAID controller or external RAID
> enclosure).  it also makes administration a little easier (don't have
> to muck
> around with how to boot, etc, etc.)  I've had great successes with the
> PowerRAID stuff from Zzyzx (www.zzyzx.com).

[snip