As I mentioned in my original note, the system is a dual PIII-500
system that will be dedicated as a file server.  So there is plenty
of cpu grunt to service a software RAID.  I agree that the performance
numbers seem to lean heavily in favour of software RAID over the
currently available hardware RAID solutions for linux.  I'm already
sold on that.

The question was....will any of the linux utilities (like fsck and
friends) choke on a 300gb partition?  Is anyone on the list using
software RAID with a partition this large?  If so, how large?

Regards,

Chris

--
Christopher Mauritz