> From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed May 24 20:41:56 2000
>
> On Wed, 24 May 2000, Chris Mauritz wrote:
>
> > Have you SEEN one of these?  They are *extremely* deep and are a supreme
> > pain in the ass to deal with unless you have 4 poster cabinets instead
> > of racks.
>
> BTW...does this mean you actually have some?  I'm still trying to figure
> out just how much it'll cost to turn a base LPr into a server (mylex card,
> 2 drives, 2 dimms) and the last unknown is the hot swap drive brackets.
> The reseller I'm going through thinks he found the right part number...at
> $165 each!  That's totally ridiculous and probably a deal breaker since
> even with the 2 for 1 promo, the price comes out to just about what it
> would cost to build from scratch from parts.

For the cost of the LPr, you're probably better off going to someplace
like Penguin Computing and have them roll something for you that's
known to work.  It will likely be a bit cheaper too.

Personally, I found an outfit that has a 1 RU enclosure that has 2
swappaple drive sleds (they do this by using an integrated floppy/CD
device to save a bay).  They're designed for IDE disks.  I've been
buying them and doing software RAID 1 with cheap IBM 7200rpm 20.5gig
deskstar drives for web servers in farms behind load balancers.  I'm
probably going to modify that and use RAID 0 since the only really
"important" data on the servers is the apache logs.  The other
bits are rather unimportant to me since there are 10 other servers
with the same contents (sans the logs).  I've been pretty happy with
them, the build quality is better than penguin, they deliver them
in 3-5 business days, AND they're cheaper.

Here's a URL to the critter:

http://www.rackmount.com/RackSvr/ColocationServer180.htm

They've been rather easy to deal with and with some prodding the
prices have been a bit "elastic."  8-)

Hope this helped.

Oh, and I don't have any LPr's myself.  However, I was fortunate
enough to be installing some 7206's in my datacenter cage and
listened to the colo customer next to me swearing at his pile
of HP's for several hours.  He didn't appear to be enjoying the
encounter.  8-)

Cheers,

Chris
--