On Wednesday July 26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> do the kernel developers responsible for RAID read this list?  I would be
> interested in seeing some constructive discussion about the reports of
> degraded RAID performance in the 2.4 kernels.  It is particularly
> disappointing given that SMP appears to be a lot better in 2.4 vs 2.2

As Jakob mentioned,  the slow down is quite possibly related to other
parts of the kernel.
I would really like to see speed comparisons for

  2.2 no raid
  2.2 raid
  2.4 no raid
  2.4 raid

where 2.3+raid didn't fit the pattern, before I looked too deeply.

Given the code at the moment, I am highly confident that linear, raid0
and raid1 should be just as fast in 2.4 as in 2.2.
There are some issues with raid5 that I am looking into. I don't
know that they affect speed much, though they might.

NeilBrown