On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:36:03AM -0500, ira.weiny wrote:
> It would be nice if we were not having to do this for staging then.  Also
> perhaps it should be removed from checkpatch --strict?

Don't use checkpatch --strict ever.  It's full of weird items that
defintively don't apply to the majority of the kernel code base.

> Where are the guidelines for when one can ignore checkpatch and when they can
> not?  It would be nice to know when we can "be developers" vs "being robots to
> some tool".

I think checkpatch is generally useful, and the errors without
--strict are something we I haven't found any false positives.

The warnings are about 90% useful but something are just weird.  For
--strict all bets are off.