On Monday, September 10, 2018, Rob Herring wrote:
> > The current OSTM driver uses TIMER_OF_DECLARE and that basically means
> > it will never work with my new SoC.
> >
> > For now, can I change the driver to register a standard platform driver
> > in subsys_initcall like the other Renesas timer drivers?
>
> I'm confused how this can even work as an initcall. The whole reason
> *_OF_DECLARE exists is for things that have to be setup before
> initcalls.

I wrote a long explanation of the issue, but the summary is:

The timer (which is currently using TIMER_OF_DECLARE) can't start up
until the clocks are set up because of_clk_get fails().

But, the clock driver is a platform driver that is not started until
subsys_initcall.

So, unless you have a clock driver with CLK_OF_DECLARE, you can't use
a timer driver with a TIMER_OF_DECLARE driver.

And, there is no such thing as a deferred probe for timer drivers
declared with IMER_OF_DECLARE.

Chris