On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 14:13 +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
> James Bottomley wrote:
> >>  Also, DMA alignment at
> >> block layer isn't enough for ATA.  ATA needs drain buffers for ATAPI
> >> commands with variable length response.  :-(
> >
> > OK, where is this in the libata code?  The dma_pad size is only 4 bytes,
> > so this drain, I assume is only a word long?  Given the word alignment
> > requirements of ATA doesn't this still mean it's only draining up to the
> > word boundary anyway (so the code is still correct)?
>
> Patch is acked but not merged yet.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tj/libata-dev.git;a=commit;h=6cd22a0febc74bebe52d58eb22271b8770892a2d
>
> The full function can be read from the following.  It's
> ata_sg_setup_extra().
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tj/libata-dev.git;a=blob;f=drivers/ata/libata-core.c;h=d763c072e6cefc724ea24cb68a7adf47b340f054;hb=6cd22a0febc74bebe52d58eb22271b8770892a2d

OK, but that patch was sent to the mailing list on 4 Jan ... five days
after this one.  It's a little hard to take unposted patches into
account ...

It's a fairly comprehensive merge clash ... where is this drain patch on
the upstream track?  because currently ipr and aic94xx panic the system
without the dma padding removal (I just figured -rc6 was a bit late for
major surgery like this, but I was planning a backport if it stood up in
2.6.24).

James