On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 12:04 +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
> James Bottomley wrote:
> >> Tejun has a persistent objection...  see other email.
> >
> > Actually, see other email .. I meant that this patch (eliminate dma
> > padding) is independent of the drain one.
>
> Sorry about the delay.
>
> There's a problem here.  For the blk layer dma padding itself, it's okay
> but the problem is that it blocks the pending draining patch without
> supplying usable alternative at the moment.

The alternative is already there.  The current drain infrastructure is
already in the block layer.  The patch I sent merely activates it for
ATA.  Is there some issue with this that I haven't forseen?  My analysis
is that it should do everything your patch does (except at the block
layer and in a manner that doesn't trigger the aic94xx panic).

>   I agree that the long term
> solution should be in the block layer && I understand that it causes
> problem for SAS controllers but for the moment if we don't include the
> existing draining patch, far more ATAPI devices are affected.  So, it's
> catch-22 situation.
>
> I think the best solution is to update block layer draining such that it
> can be included together before the merge window closes.  I'll dig into it.

Like I said, the block layer pieces are already upstream.  All we need
is the ATA bits and I think it should all work ... unless there's some
part I haven't though of?

James