On 02/07/2017 04:34 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 03:38:51PM +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> The SCSI passthrough commands pass in pre-formatted SGLs, so the driver
>> just has to map them.
>> If we were converting that we first have to re-format the
>> (driver-specific) SGLs into linux sg lists, only to have them converted
>> back into driver-specific ones once queuecommand is called.
>> You sure it's worth the effort?
>>
>> The driver already reserves some tags for precisely this use-case, so it
>> won't conflict with normal I/O operation.
>> So where's the problem with that?
>
> If it was an entirely separate path that would be easy, but it's
> not - see all the poking into the tag maps that your patch 8
> includes.  If it was just a few tags on the side not interacting
> with the scsi or blk-mq it wouldn't be such a problem.

But we do; we're getting the index/tag/smid from the high-priority list,
which is separated from the normal SCSI I/O tag space.
(which reminds me; there's another cleanup patch to be had in
_ctl_do_mpt_command(), but that's beside the point).

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Teamlead Storage & Networking
h...@suse.de                                   +49 911 74053 688