On Wed, 2018-04-18 at 17:01 +0200, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
> here's a early preview of my SCSI results rework so we can eventually
> discuss things next week at LSF/MM (it still has compiler errors on
> aic7xxx and scsi_debug).
>
> The motivation behing this is that some drivers have failed to set the
> scsi_cmnd::result bytes correctly in the past and this is resulting in
> hard to case down errors.
>
> The open points:
> 1) 148 files changed, treewide. That's huge. Is it worth it?
> 2) remove the old status byte definitions
> 3) add a scsi_cmnd::result == 0 wrapper
> 3) convert aic7xx's CAM stuff so this series compiles cleanly
> 4) What the heck is the SDEG_RES_IMMED_MASK stuff in scsi_debug doing
> 5) change scsi_execute() so we get a newish 'struct scsi_results' instead of
> an int
> 6) {to,from}_scsi_result() are odd
> 7) find suitable commit messages

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for having come up with this so quickly. Something I do not
like about this patch series is that several new very short helper functions
are introduced, e.g. set_scsi_result(), clear_scsi_result(), to_scsi_result()
and from_scsi_result(). If we would make scsi_result a union of a 32-bit
integer and a struct with the driver, host, msg and status bytes then we
would not need any of these new helper functions. Additionally, that approach
would allow us to eliminate the {set,get}_{driver,host,msg,status}_byte()
functions.

Thanks,

Bart.