From: Jean-Dominique Delyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Memory reported wrong by Linux
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:30:17 -0000

This problem is reported on the RedHat web site for the i810 Intel
chipset. Refer to http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/i810.html.

            Jean-Dominique

------------------------------

From: DivJx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: If I switch to Mandrake 7.2, will I take a hit?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:42:29 GMT

If you are planning to run X I would recommend 128Mb of ram I plugged 64
Megs in the machine and it was slow IMO then I put another 64MB of ram
and it greatly improved, I suggest u get some more ram..

In article <8uj10h$1vpbh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie question re: custom MIME types
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:54:37 +0500

 Can anyone point me to a walk-through that'll allow me to set up custom
Mime types?  I'm looking, specifically for MP3 support under RH 6.2.

 I understand the Mime Types configuration, but the program used for the
files is not in the list fo pre-defined applications.  Is there a
(newbie) way to add apps?

 It seems that it does not have support for thins pre-configured so....
:)

------------------------------

From: a l t e r i t y <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 21:03:29 +1100

Well I have been playing around with 7.2 for a few days now on a
macine similar to yours, and I think it is a shit distribution,
probably the worst I have used in 5 years of playing with Linux. I
have had no end of problems.

--
alterity
canberra: the penetralia of australia

------------------------------

From: Carl Waring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo boot option not working
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:08:44 +0000

My Red Hat drive is on the secondary IDE controller set to slave.  I
installed the secondary drive
after I had set up the primary drive with NT. Both drives are larger than
1024 cylinders.  I'm not too sure what
I would do with 'lba32', I attach my lilo.conf file for your perusal.

boot = /dev/hdb1
timeout = 50
linear
prompt
    default = dos
    vga = normal
    read-only
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-6.1.1
    label = linux
    root = /dev/hdb8
other = /dev/hda1
    label = dos
table =/dev/hda

cw

------------------------------

From: "Jeepster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help! Mandrake 7.2 setup hang
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:22:26 -0000

HELP: Mandrake 7.2 install hang on install after

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on IRQ 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on IRQ 15

on the  first set up screen after boot up.it simply stops the install.

Can anyone help?

7.1 installed ok before....

cheers

Jeepster

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DualIP)
Subject: Re: reduce memory usage in Linux
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:18:04 GMT

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:46:27 +0000, Michael V. Ferranti
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       Check your swap partition size.  It should be at least double that of
>your RAM.

To me the most stupid rule in the book.
When I upgrade and double my RAM , I must double swap partition size
as well??
Seems to me like the upgraded box would require less in stead of more
swap space

DualIP

------------------------------

From: DivJx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:00:36 GMT

problems such as?
I haven't had any yet..
although my system specs are:
_____________________________________
Celeron 566@680
AOPen mx3wPro-E (intel i810E chipset)
using onboard video & sound
Aopen 10/100 network card
Seagate 17.2Gb UDMA66
128Mb ram
_____________________________________

Systems basically used as a server between 3 other machines in the home.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

------------------------------

From: "PistolGrip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 05:45:25 -0600

"a l t e r i t y" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Well I have been playing around with 7.2 for a few days now on a
> macine similar to yours, and I think it is a shit distribution,
> probably the worst I have used in 5 years of playing with Linux. I
> have had no end of problems.

What kind of problems??

What are your system specs?

Is this the downloadable version, or the stripped-down Wal-Mart 'Complete'
version?

Runs flawlessly for me <shrug>

--
PistolGrip
==========================

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 13:33:38 +0100

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Carl Waring wrote:

> My Red Hat drive is on the secondary IDE controller set to slave.  I
> installed the secondary drive
> after I had set up the primary drive with NT. Both drives are larger than
> 1024 cylinders.  I'm not too sure what
> I would do with 'lba32', I attach my lilo.conf file for your perusal.

Try putting it in like this (ie on a separate line in the general
section) an run 'lilo':

> boot = /dev/hdb1
> timeout = 50
> linear
lba32
> prompt
>     default = dos
>     vga = normal
>     read-only
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-6.1.1
>     label = linux
>     root = /dev/hdb8
> other = /dev/hda1
>     label = dos
> table =/dev/hda

This should help lilo use a newer bios-function to access the disk and
overcome the 1024 cylinder limit. However there is a chance, that your
bios does not offer this function - in which case you will have to create
a small partition below the 1024 cylinder limit.

Rasmus Bøg Hansen

---
He has his own opinions
- just like the others.
                                  -- Burnin' Red Ivanhoe

------------------------------

From: "FREDRIK LINDSTRÖM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 14:09:28 +0100

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

**********REPLACE linear WITH lba32 *********

------------------------------

From: Nat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 21:08:53 +0800

Its going to be slow frankly.  I have a P3-450 + 128mb ram
and has 7.2 installed and works very smoothly.  no crashes
so far.

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 13:21:52 GMT

On Nov 11, 2000 at 07:18, DualIP eloquently wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:46:27 +0000, Michael V. Ferranti
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>      Check your swap partition size.  It should be at least double that of
>>your RAM.
>
>To me the most stupid rule in the book.
>When I upgrade and double my RAM , I must double swap partition size
>as well??
>Seems to me like the upgraded box would require less in stead of more
>swap space
It is not so much stupid as misleading. The amount of swap
you set up is dependent on the amount of ram you have, what
you intend using the machine for.

self-reference n.

 See self-reference.

  8:16am  up 20 days, 16:08,  9 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.20, 1.44

------------------------------

From: Alex McCreath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 00:05:35 +1000

Nat wrote:

> Its going to be slow frankly.  I have a P3-450 + 128mb ram
> and has 7.2 installed and works very smoothly.  no crashes
> so far.
>

> nemo wrote:
> >
> > I run an AMD K6-2 400 with 60MB RAM, and 4MB shared RAM. With so little
> > resources, is it worth my while switching, as I've read that X-window
> > app.s, and window managers can be resource hogs. Is my system's
> > performnce likely to improve, suffer, or remain unchanged after a switch
> > from Win98SE to MDK 7.2?

KDE2 does appear to require (a little) more grunt than its older sibling.
That said, I have a Celeron 450 and 160M RAM, and it runs at a *very*
acceptable level of performance. Linux likes >=128M RAM. My advice is; buy
some RAM and you'll hardly notice the hit from KDE2. And, you won't be
dissappointed with MDK7.2!

------------------------------

Subject: Boot into X-Windows Question
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (UM)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 14:01:25 GMT

I just installed Linux on my computer (Mandrake 7.0.2)

Everything works right ... but I mistakenly said NO when it asked "Would
you like to boot into X-Windows when the system comes up" (similar words)

I said NO :(

Now I get to go into xwindows only by typing in startx at the prompt.

I would instead like it to start X with the KDE desktop with all the
goodies being displayed.

Help!

uday_menon

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 15:28:30 +0100
From: "Tim v. Wegberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Mindbender for the experts: DTC3181E in PNP mode.

Hi all,

Linux is totally new to me, i run redhat 7 for a week now and i managed
to get most things to work ok, except the following:

I have a DTC3181E card that came with my Artec Viewstation AT6 scanner,
i also have a zipdrive hooked up to it because it destabilized my
Adaptec 2940AU's scsi bus. I managed to get The Dreaded Zipdrive working
in PNR mode by installing the card using the modprobe g_NCR5380
ncr_addr=0x280 dtc_3181E=1 command, but it was horribly slow, copying a
megabyte took about a minute, and mysteriously processor usage stayed
low too.
I decided to try to use the card in PNP mode, becuase then the BIOS
would assign it an IRQ and DMA channel to speed up transfer and make my
mouse pointer react normal again.  However pnpdump doesn't recognize the
card, and modprobe g_NCR5380 ncr_addr=0x280 ncr_irq=11 dtc_3181e=1 fails
(i know from a bios message at boot that the irq is 11, no  conflicts
here).
I'm probably doing something wrong but i really have no idea what.

Another problem is that i can't get The Dreaded Zipdrive to automount
properly, i experimented with auto.master and auto.zip0 but so far
without succes, mounting and unmounting normally with the correct
settings in fstab works ok but is very inconvenient.

Can anybody please tell me how to get this setup working ok?

TIA,

Tim

P.S.
I'm sorry to say but everything works OK with win98

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:06:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Was: can't ... REMOUNT; now: making boot

In <8uh4bc$tee$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 11/10/00
   at 03:30 PM, "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Well, you don't need ANY base of operations. You just need your file
>system.

Yeah, as if having a file system weren't a base of operations!

I don't -- make that 'didn't' -- have a file system!

>: [1] I would like to set things up so that I can again use /dev/hda6 as my
>: boot partition; how do I do this?

>Why do you care? I already said ONCE that a boot partition is nothing
>special.

And I never thought it was 'special'. It's just the way I have things set
up here -- I have a boot partition which I happen to call 'the boot
partition'. Perhaps this linguistic usage is confusing you?

>Do you mean something else by the term? Such as "the partition on which I
>keep the boot sector that takes me to the kernel image of choice"?

If you prefer this façon de parler, yes.

>: [2] When I boot using 'linux init=/dev/hda7', I get the old stall at
>: 'remounting, etc. etc.'; how do I overcome this?

>By not writing it! You mean "root=/dev/hda7", surely? Well, fix up the
>partition. Check all its bits and pieces are in place. Sounds like
>something pretty fundamental is awry there. Such as not having a shell.
>Or not having a console, or no etc or no dev. Etc. etc. Run the init
>scripts one by one until you find out what's broken.

Ok, this is roughly equivalent to telling me something's wrong with my
system, a fact I was already painfully aware of.

I was looking for help in diagnosis and remedy.

I've solved it though:

>Or don't - reinstall the partition from your backups, or whatever you
>installed it from.

I backed up the problematic partition (a lot of free space on my HD) and
reinstalled the base system; I could use bits and pieces of the backup to
reinstall or simply copy over my own stuff; I'm pretty much back in
business but no wiser.

I have an inkling what triggered the problem in the first place, a
particular dumb move on my part, but I don't understand why it led to all
the effects or how to recover if I should ever find myself in that spot
again.

>: (A) I keep examining the appropriate files (lilo.conf, fstab) and I don't
>: see any irregularities but I'm still studying them.

>What makes you think those have anything to do with it? You have to have
>a reason!

I practice 'filename magic' -- their names have 'f' in them like my name!

Look, thanks for trying to help. From your tone, I see I've exhausted your
patience, and for my part, let's just say that I appreciate your wanting
to help, and let's leave it at that.

>[...] These are not tricks.

Whatever...

See you!

F.

     Felmon John Davis
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     os/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas E. Mitton)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Connect Tech Intellicon-8 ISA Drivers?!?!?!
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 14:48:43 GMT

[I'm re-posting this as it didn't seem to propagate anywhere last
time!]

Hello All;

I have acquired a Connect Tech ISA Intellicon-8 multiport serial card.
It was being used in an older Redhat linux server.  The machines were
re-deployed and I wasn't able to get the original drivers off of the
machine.

Has anyone had any experience with these cards and know where I can
get the drivers for them.  I have searched the manufacturers site but
there are no Linux drivers for this particular vintage of product.

The recent kernel tree doesn't seem to list these cards in particular
but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I am planning to use it under a recent Slackware installation.

Any any all help or pointers would be appreciated.

          http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
   SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest