I tried to order myself one of those cheap Q88 tablets with an A13 just
now. Big was my surprise when i got it and popped it open, as i was
staring at an A23.

Bad news all round really:
* fully locked down android, no root, no adb. I will give another root
exploit a try tomorrow.
* our fel utility does not work.
* we of course have no code for u-boot or linux yet.
* nothing on the serial port.

This device is a really serious GPL violator. They even went as far as
removing all open source licenses from the About section under android
settings.

What we do know:
* two obvious serial pads (which are not sending out anything atm)
* it tries to boot off SD when a likely candidate is there
* it has a 3.4.39 kernel, and the /proc/config.gz was world readable
(this is where the string sun8i was found).
* HW is an A23 which is a bga, with an AXP223 companion

Board picture is available at the device page:
http://linux-sunxi.org/Ippo_q8h

Luc Verhaegen.