On Wed,  9 Apr 2014 05:47:25 +0300
Siarhei Siamashka <siarhei.siamas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A rather popular problem reported by new users on irc is very
> laggy performance out of the box. The default 'ondemand' governor
> is too slow to react on increased demand for processing power
> without extra tuning. The extra tuning needs extra efforts
> from the users. Not to mention that they have to be aware that
> such tuning might be necessary.

All good points here.

> Right now sun5i_defconfig does not even enable cpufreq and does not
> have any problems in the first place. This patch changes sun4i and
> sun7i defconfigs to have the following set of cpufreq governors:
>   1. 'performance' (default)
>   2. 'userspace' (for benchmarking purposes)
>   3. 'interactive' (a replacement for 'ondemand' with more sane
>      default behavior)

"Replacement"? What are the mainlining plans for it, then? IOW still not
convinced it is a good idea to push an out-of-tree obscure governor invented
likely because someone didn't know they can tune 'ondemand'. Smells of "custom
Android romz" and all that stuff to me, i.e. not the right way of doing
things in the Linux land.

If someone wants more power saving, after your patch they will need to make a
conscious effort to switch to ondemand, and in the process of doing so they
can also configure it to their liking just as easily.

--
With respect,
Roman