Well Jon kindly pointed me to his repo which is confirmed to have spidev
working on A20.  I used his repo and his .config file .....with the same
results ...which I guess is a good thing as it means my previous attempts
were probably all working and I just need to find what crucial step I am
missing.

Here you can see both spi kernel processes running
#
# ps -ef | grep -i spi
   46 root     [spi0]
   47 root     [spi1]
  152 root     grep -i spi
#

I changed spidev to be a kernel module....and it loads without any problems
# lsmod
spidev                  5471  0
#

The /sys filesystem is aware of the spi devices:
# find /sys -iname "*spi*"
/sys/bus/spi
/sys/bus/spi/drivers/spidev
/sys/bus/platform/devices/1c06000.spi
/sys/bus/platform/devices/1c17000.spi
/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sun4i-spi
/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sun4i-spi/1c06000.spi
/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sun4i-spi/1c17000.spi
/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sun6i-spi
/sys/devices/soc@01c00000/1c06000.spi
/sys/devices/soc@01c00000/1c06000.spi/spi_master
/sys/devices/soc@01c00000/1c06000.spi/spi_master/spi0
/sys/devices/soc@01c00000/1c17000.spi
/sys/devices/soc@01c00000/1c17000.spi/spi_master
/sys/devices/soc@01c00000/1c17000.spi/spi_master/spi1
/sys/class/spi_master
/sys/class/spi_master/spi0
/sys/class/spi_master/spi1
/sys/class/spidev
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc@01c00000/spi@01c05000
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc@01c00000/spi@01c06000
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc@01c00000/spi@01c17000
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc@01c00000/spi@01c1f000
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc@01c00000/pinctrl@01c20800/spi0@0
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc@01c00000/pinctrl@01c20800/spi1@0
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc@01c00000/pinctrl@01c20800/spi2@0
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/aliases/spi0
/sys/firmware/devicetree/base/aliases/spi1
/sys/module/spidev
/sys/module/spidev/drivers/spi:spidev
#

I have added "udev" (eudev) to my build
#
# /etc/init.d/S10udev stop
# /etc/init.d/S10udev start
Populating /dev using udev: [ 1242.412281] udevd[164]: starting version 1.7
done
#

Wondering if I need:
1. An actual spi device connected
2. An "spiddev node" ....or "spidev" as a "childnode" of spi1

Also noticed I don't see any SPI messages from dmesg....which I guess is a
hint I'll follow soon