On Sat, 2015-02-28 at 11:24 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> > What would be actually your suggestion?
>
> For sunxi-tools: simple makefile with a working 'make install
> DESTDIR=/path/foo'.

...which installs not-too-generically named binaries, with that: ack
from me too.

WRT not-too-generically named: e.g. usb-boot and bootinfo are certainly too
generic, so in Debian I add a sunxi- prefix.

fel, fexc etc might be OK, but there's some potential for a clash
(mostly due to them being quite short acronym fodder).

I ended up prefixing them sunxi- in Debian for consistency with the
other binaries. My preference would be for everything to be prefixed
(perhaps unless it's not actually sunxi specific somehow and just
happens to live in sunxi-tools).

> 1) Makefile with working make install
> 2) autotools

That would be my order of preference too.

I think the sunxi-tools build is simple enough that just supporting and
correctly using $(HOSTCC) and $(CROSS_COMPILE)$(CC) (and AS, LD etc)
would be sufficient, even for the sort of canadian cross-compiles
discussed elsewhere in this thread, without needing to go to full
autotools (but I could live with the latter).

WRT needing a cross compiler, I think all which is really needed for
lots of the useful stuff is a cross binutils (specifically
$(CROSS_COMPILE)$(AS)). Currently the build uses gcc to drive as+ld for
building .S into .elf, but I think it could use as+ld directly without
much effort. There are some trivial .c programs (fel-sdboot.c) which
could easily be rewritten in asm. I think there would still be one or
two things which are C which couldn't be done this way, but this would
get far better coverage in distro builds with very little effort.

The reason I mention cross-gcc vs cross-binutils is that for distros
providing a cross binutils is generally pretty trivial, it's only once
you get into cross-gcc and "which libc do I use" type questions that
things get tricky and tend to stagnate.

FWIW Debian has a cross binutils package targeting arm already and will
ship it in the next release (Jessie).

BTW, looking at the current makefiles it seems that we pass a load of
options when building .S files which only make sense when compiling
from .c (e.g. -Wno-format-nonliteral etc).

Ian.