You need to insert the copyright notice as a way of saying you own the
code in the file. After you claim ownership you can choose a license
to release your work under. The important part of kernel development
is placing the GPL notice at the top of each kernel source file (copy
it from another kernel file). The copyright notice is just a statement
saying you have the right to license the code under the GPL. Once you
license under the GPL, the GPL allows many more uses of the code than
simple copyright does.

Some projects require copyright assignment, but the kernel does not.
The main reason for copyright assignment is in case the license needs
to be changed later. For example Mozilla was originally released under
the MPL. The Mozilla organization was forced to track down and get
written permission from every copyright holder when they reissued
Mozilla under the LGPL. Some of these authors could not be located
which required chunks of Mozilla to be rewritten. Now Mozilla gets
copyright right assignment from each author in order to allow them to
change the license again if necessary.

The kernel has long passed having any ability to track down all of the
copyright holders since some of them are dead. It will be GPLv2
forever because there is no way to change it. If you want to
contribute your code to mainline it has to have at the minimum: a
copyright statement and the GPLv2 license. If you want you can also
include the MIT license in addition to the GPLv2. Including the MIT
license allows the code the be shared with BSD.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Stefan Monnier
<monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>> Also copyright like this looks weird:
>>> " * Copyright (C) 2015-2020 Allwinner Technology Co., Ltd."
>>> Living in the future? :)
>> I'm granting all the copyright to my newly written code to Allwinner so no...
>> It's 2015 and the copyright goes 5 years... Am I wrong? ^^'
>
> Yes, you're wrong: the copyright statement is about when the copyright
> starts, basically, so it can't be in the future.  The duration of the
> copyright is then defined based on this information combined with the
> law (which is not 5 years, but more like 75 years, or maybe even "75
> years after the death of the author", and has changed over the time,
> with the tendency being to extend copyright towards infinity, since
> those decisions are mostly taken by people who have personal financial
> incentives to extend the coverage as much as they can get away with (or
> are close to people who have such)).
>

>         Stefan
>
> --

Jon Smirl