On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Julian Calaby <julian.cal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> it, there would be serious consequences which might affect the
> entirety of Linux. Yes, the developer certificate of origin should
> limit the damage, but I don't believe it's been legally tested yet.
> Nobody wants to find out what would happen in this situation.
>
>>> Even if we ignore the past, all of this is built together with LGPLed
>>> code, and the binary is being dlopened into this LGPLed code. Quite
>>> illegally so.
>>>

>> The question is, what options are there for an LGPL library to use
>> dynamically other (non-LGPL) code,
>> or how can your program use that LGPL library and dynamically some
>> other (closed-source) code as well.
>>
>> Here is a good summary,
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Linking_and_derived_works
>
> This isn't about proprietary code using (L)GPL code, it's about (L)GPL
> using proprietary code. This is a whole different kettle of fish and
> _very_ murky legally.
>
> Don't jump to conclusions.
>
>>> This is further deliberate avoidance of responsibility by Allwinner. One
>>> can only assume that Allwinner is incorrigible at this point. They have
>>> been told time and time again what is wrong and they have time and time
>>> again been given possible ways out, in great detail. All we get though,
>>> is microsteps to take off the heat, followed by further deliberate
>>> breaking/bending of the rules.
>>>

>> "deliberate breaking/bending of the rules"
>>
>> One may ask, "deliberate"? (if it is even really "breaking/bending").
>> On the Internet apparently it does not matter if you justify a claim.
>
> They could release the source, they haven't and haven't justified
> this, therefore it's deliberate. The code makes it clear that they
> didn't just "forget" to include the source for this blob.
>
>>> This also sheds a further shadow on the C.H.I.P. project. Clearly the
>>> Next Thing Co. guys were very gullible when they went into business with
>>> Allwinner (and believed the statements made by allwinner). Later during
>>> the run of the kickstarter campaign, after all the noise had been made
>>> on the internet about GPL Violations, Next Thing Co. loudly claimed that
>>> they are working the Free Electrons and that all promises of open
>>> sourceness and such would be kept (all?). While this move in itself was
>>> very laudable, it did underline the fact that Next Thing Co. had not
>>> done its homework beforehand. Now Allwinner does this, which clearly
>>> goes in against everything the Next Thing Co. people have promised us so
>>> far...
>>>

>> Apparently, this e-mail is meant for those like Phoronix, so that they
>> can rehash without checking
>> and quickly repost.
>
> If that's what it takes to get action, then that is what must happen.
> Phoronix might be one of the worst cases of copy-paste journalism in
> existence, but it's still one of the better summaries of what's going
> on in the open source community and, most importantly, people read it.

Personally I'm more of a believer in positive reinforcement than
negative. In general I would say that at the top levels Allwinner
still does not totally understand the benefits of the open source
world. They still think that it is more important to keep 'secrets'
from competitors than it is to maximize the number of people shipping
and using their products.  That may have been true in the 1990's but
it isn't true now. These competitors obviously know how to make h.264
hardware since they are shipping it too.

So my prescription for Allwinner is to take over your own kernel
mainlining effort or at least pay someone to do it for you. One way to
get help with that is to move to a higher level Linaro membership or
hire someone like Free Electrons.

The goal you are working towards is the ability to do a single Android
release and have it work on all of your CPUs.  If you are able to
achieve that you will get some huge benefits in reduced effort needed
to keep your Android releases up to date. Alternatively, if you
continue to do in-house point releases of Android while proliferating
a large number of new CPUs, you are going to collapse under the
combinatoric workload.

Once you realize these benefits, hopefully you'll see the benefits of
being open source is all areas.

>> Is there really need for such drama? The A13 has been largely
>> mainlined by members of this community
>> and the R8, being a bit different, needs some extra work. Instead of
>> making it a volunteer effort to linux-sunxi,
>> they are working with Free Electrons in order to fix any issues
>> pertaining to mainline support.
>
> There is need for this "drama": (L)GPL violations aren't something you
> can just "sweep under the rug". This is a _legal_ issue. This isn't
> just people moaning about how they don't have all the fancy stuff,
> this is a company breaking a license they agreed to. Companies have
> been shut down for less.
>
> The person or group that does the mainlining is irrelevant as long as
> it happens.
>
> As for why C.H.I.P. is being dragged into this: quoting from their
> campaign, they're "Fully open source" or "100% open source" and are
> going to work with Allwinner to "insure that all the necessary
> documentation and source code for the System on Chip and Power
> Management Chips used in C.H.I.P. will be available for the community
> to use and learn from."
>
> It could be argued both ways whether the CedarX IP is "necessary", but
> they've talked up their open source-ness so much that any part
> remaining closed source (with the possible exception of Mali) will be
> a mark against them and their ability to deliver. The Raspberry Pi
> copped a _lot_ of flak over the huge chunks of proprietary stuff in
> it, so I suspect they won't want the same negative press. Also,
> they're still news, so some copy-paste journalist might just stumble
> across this from a Google search and post it.
>
> At the end of the day, posts like this are about making Allwinner
> move. We, the community, aren't big enough to push them with any
> useful force; you (and other people) claim to have some connection to
> them, but seem to have done nothing, so we have to find other ways to
> push them. If that means we need to write stuff that can be copied and
> pasted into a sensationalist Phoronix article, then that's what we
> must do.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Julian Calaby