On Tue, 30 May 2006, Vivek Dharmadhikari wrote:

> Hello Alan
>
> > When you mount the USB drive, do you use the "-o sync" option?  That could
> > cause the delays and the errors that you see.  They are not caused by
> > problems in the 2.6.12 USB drivers.  (Well, some of the delays are caused
> > by the driver -- but they wouldn't be there if no errors occurred.
>
> No, i do not use any options when i mount the usb drive. I assume that
> the mount command do not use sync option by default.

Check /proc/mounts and make sure.  That's the only reason I can think of
why your writes are transferring only one sector at a time.

It would help if you upgraded to a more recent kernel version.  The device
reset code in usb-storage has changed a lot since 2.6.12.

> I am still facing USB hang issue and i did some debuggging and my
> obeservations are given below.
>
> 1.A file copy to USB hard disk results in drop in free memory. The free
> memory is consumed by kernel page cache and is not released. Note that
> my reference board has ONLY 32MB of SDRAM and free memory drops below
> 1Mb when USB file copy is in progress.

This wouldn't happen, or wouldn't be as bad, if your transfer sizes were
larger.

> 2.During the copy operation, the pdflush daemon gets triggerd(as seen by
> top) indicating the system is low on memory. Any attempts to do anothter
> copy to USB fails as kernel kills cp process due to OOM.

These aren't USB questions, but I'll do my best to answer them.

> Is there any way to instruct the kernel NOT to use page cache ?

No.

> Any idea about why the page cache memory is not released ?

No.

>  what commands
> can be used to flush the page cache ?

sync.