On 7/5/06, Alan Stern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm hampered by lack of detailed knowledge of the driver.  However it
> seems to me that those two calls should affect the schedule (cheap) and
> not the budget (expensive).

Oh, hmm.  That's actually not a bad idea.  Some part of me is saying 'duh'.

OK, that's the way it should be done, but in a later-stage patch as it
will complicate chopping the patch into patchlets.

> That's right.  Note what you said: the URB is resubmitted by core/hub.c.

A fair cop.

> > > ehci-hcd doesn't schedule endpoints; it schedules QHs.
> >
> > Effectively the same thing.  An INTR endpoint maps to one and only one
> > QH in the schedule.
>
> Yes, they are in a one-to-one relation.  That doesn't make them the same
> thing.  Precision of expression is important when discussing complicated
> topics.

English will always be somewhat imprecise and what i said really could
only have meant one thing.  Still, you're more right and I was more
wrong.

> by core/hub.c.  Not by ehci-hcd.

Quite right; I also stated clearly when I realized I was confused and
I corrected myself, but the argument continued.

> The way to avoid excess computation is to have intr_deschedule() and
> periodic_qh_schedule() do less work.  There's no need to tear down and
> rebuild a scheduler budget when there's not going to be any net change.

I agree that's the best thing to do, at least for now.

Monty