On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > Okay, I'll do it.  There will also be a per-device delay variable, whose
> > value will be settable via sysfs.
> >
> > The question then becomes, with all those different delay values, what
> > delay should the timer actually use?  The simplest answer is to use the
> > maximum of the delays.  Does that sound right?
>
> Hm, no. An interface may or may not use the "busy" facility, eg. a closed
> hid devices would better simply be always suspended, but if it is opened,
> it'll need its own timeout used.
> So the answer would not be the largest delay, but the largest delay
> currently requested to be active.

We haven't yet defined how a driver can request an interface delay to be
active or inactive.  The simplest way to do it is this: The interface
delay value is active if it is > 0.  When the interface driver just wants
the thing to be suspended (like when an HID device is closed), it can set
its delay to 0.  And of course, 0 will be the default value for interface
delays, whereas USB_AUTOSUSPEND_DELAY will be the default value for the
extra per-device delay.  Thus non-PM-aware drivers, or drivers that don't
use the new delay value, will continue to work as before.

This way using the maximum delay value should do exactly what you want.
Right?