Oleg Verych wrote:
>> From: "Phil Endecott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Just question.
>
>> void inc(int __attribute__((aligned(1))) * i)
>> void inc(int * __attribute__((aligned(1))) i)
>> void inc(int * i __attribute__((aligned(1))))
>
> Why 1, and not 2?

1 is the "worst" unalignment.
If I specify 2 I get the same errors/issues (as expected).
What difference do you expect to see?

> While i didn't read (so far your links), and i wasn't in such
> situation, may i redirect you to this patch:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-mm-commits&m=117087868602789&w=2

This patch is:
"Prevent an unaligned exception to occur.  (GCC 4.1) tmp is defined as char
pointer while it is later accessed as short."

This is, in a sense, the opposite of what we're looking at.  There they
have added aligned(2) to a char; that makes it more aligned so it's
safe.  Adding packed attributes reduces the alignment, which is not
always safe.

Phil.