On Thu, 17 May 2007 10:44:13 -0700, David Brownell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So what's the model ... GPL'd Linux drivers will be modified to
> incorporate that call, so they'd work better on FreeBSD?

I thought that we ignored this on purpose and talking about the
licensing so deeply in the thread is too late. What have we spent
all this energy for up to this point?

It was clear from the start that the model is exactly what you
surmised. It's a fact of life that BSDs steal Linux code and slap
their own copyright and licensing on it. The story of OpenBSD and
the Broadcom wireless was just the latest example. However, we
cannot preclude them doing this, and least of all by pretending
that they'd stop if we ask nicely.

I chose to not discuss this up to this point and take the best
from Hans' independent insight, because this way I (as a kernel
hacker) receive at least some benefit. If I turned Hans away right
off the bat, his cohorts would still do the same thing, only without
talking to us. That would be a net loss for Linux.

-- Pete