Hi Indan,

> So there's a (suspicious) gap of 60 seconds between loading the speedtch
> driver
> and finding the firmware. With 2.6.20 this used to be 10 seconds.
>
> Just booted different kernel versions to verify, so it can't be a user space
> issue.
> The kernel config may have changed slightly between 2.6.20 and later kernels,
> but I doubt that causes this.
>
> If anyone has an idea what could cause this, and even better, has a fix, I'd
> like to
> hear about it. (Please don't yell "git bisect", that hurts. No time for that
> anyway,
> maybe later this week.)

none of the changes that went in recently seem likely to have anything to do
with this.  Since the driver usually looks for several firmware files before
locating the right one, one possibility is that the firmware loader is not
aborting immediately if the firmware file doesn't exist, but sits there until
a timeout occurs.  You can check this by intercepting udev events using
udevmonitor.

Ciao,

Duncan.