> Okay. Like I said, I'm not really a kernel guy, and atm I really don't
> feel like being one :-)

N/P - the extra identifiers are fine.

> I could probably figure out how to do the speed hack in the right way,
> but it would require a lot of work for me (I've never even seen any of
> the kernel code before). Could I persuade somebody on this list to
> implement the speed setting correct? I know I'm asking busy people to
> do my work, but I'm not really the best man for the job.

With a current kernel you shouldn't need one you can simply do

        struct termios2 t2;
        ioctl(ttyfd, TCGETS2, &t2);
        t2.c_cflags &= ~CBAUD;
        t2.c_cflags |= BOTHER;
        t2.c_ospeed = 250000;
        ioctl(ttyfd, TCSETS2, &t2)

and at some point once its all synced up for the various platforms glibc
will handle the newer termios transparently as it already has
ispeed/ospeed information in the version it presents user applications.