> > By reading descriptors you cannot change the configuration of the device, so
> > it can be given to every user. (depending on the r flags off course).
>
> Yes but even this may crash some devices

You still haven't identified any such devices ... AFAICT I've never seen
one, which is perhaps why I'm not too worried yet by this risk.

When we have some sort of token passing framework letting multiple drivers
issue control messages to a device, we'll be able to establish policies
that accomodate both "conformant" devices (GET_DESCRIPTOR/FEATURE/... is
safe to call any time) and broken ones.

It'll be just a simple matter of programming to provide access to that
framework through usbdevfs calls.  More info coming later.

- Dave