On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 04:44:36PM -0700, Dunlap, Randy wrote:

> Some unification could be "the right thing," although Tim Waugh
> wasn't sure whether it should be done or how it should be done when
> I brought this up to him earlier this week.

When I mentioned it to Alan Cox on Thursday he was in favour of having
USB printers available via /dev/lp*, on the grounds that you already
don't know/care if it's an ISA or PCI parallel port, so why should you
care about it being USB?

But yes, you do care if it's serial. ;-)

What _could_ be done is to act like there is a _parallel port_ on the
USB bus, with a printer attached to _that_.  Just register a parallel
port, but only define the 'write data in printer mode' access
function, and disallow/don't do the access functions for controlling
the parallel port registers.

I don't really know what the programming interface for USB printers is
though, so I might be talking rubbish.

Needless to say, I don't recommend changing anything for 2.4!

Tim.
*/

PGP signature