Questions like this should be posted to the linux-usb mailing list so
that other people can see it and provide additional help.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Rajeev Ganesh wrote:

> Hi,
>                I saw your mail about using the USBDEVFS_CLAIMINTERFACE ioctl
> to bind a device, can you tell me what should be passed in the file
> descriptor(fd) and arg pointer fields.

fd should be the file descriptor for the open file:
/proc/bus/usb/BBB/DDD.

arg should be the number of the interface you want to claim.

Note that this procedure (like all of usbfs) can be used only for
userspace drivers, not for kernel drivers.

>  Iam trying to bind my new custom device for which I have written the driver
> in linux kernel 2.6.9 over which Iam running a Enterprise Linux 4 OS. Iam
> not able to catch on to this binding process. I would be really grateful if
> you could help me.

(BTW, note that "I am" is two separate words -- not a single word.)

>             Also, USB hot plug support is present in kernel 2.6.9; so
> shouldn't the usb core driver automatically load the class driver and bind
> it to the device? Iam new to Linux programming and Iam badly I need of help.

It should.  But 2.6.9 is very old; you really should use an up-to-date
kernel.

Alan Stern

-