Hi,

> > Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> writes:
> >
> > > If you read the confidentiality notice, you'll see that it merely
> > > says that the contents of the email _may_ be confidential.  Also, it
> > > warns people who _aren't_ the intended addressees -- but if the
> > > message was sent to a public email list then obviously there are no such
> people.
> > >
> > > So I don't see any problem.
> >
> > Then I guess you missed this unconditional part?:
> >
> >  "be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
> >   e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. "
> >
> > This means that victor is deliberately violating his company policy by
> > continuing to send emails to a public list, which is the direct action
> > causing disclosure, copying and distribution of the e-mail.  You can
> > of course not blame list admins or subscribers here.
> >
> > I still do not see how a patch with such restrictions can be useful to
> > anyone. But I am not the one to decide that...
>
> This is wrong, partly because you are quoting out of context and partly
> because
> of a grammatical error in the original notice.  Here's the text with the
> context
> retained:
>
>       If you are not the intended addressee (or authorized to receive
>       for the addressee). be aware that any disclosure, copying,
>       distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is
>       prohibited.
>
> It is clear, from the lack of capitalization of the word "be" and the fact
> that the
> preceding text is only a sentence fragment, that the period following the
> close-
> parenthesis was meant to be a comma.
> Therefore this prohibition applies only to people who are not meant to be
> reading an open mailing list -- and there are no such people.
>
> This means that victor did not violate any policies.

Thanks for the analysis. I have talked to the IT guy regarding the
confidentiality note. Unfortunately, he cannot understand the spirit of open
source and refuses to drop it.

victor

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information and may be
protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended addressee (or
authorized to receive for the addressee). be aware that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for
your cooperation.
KeyASIC Inc.