Hi,

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:05:15AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

> >> On other thought here: The Tegra PHY in question here very
> >> specifically is a USB PHY. There's no way it could be used as
> >> e.g. a SATA PHY, either as a HW block or given the driver code
> >> that program is. Is sharing a PHY IP block or driver ever
> >> possible for any HW?
> >
> > yes it is possible, and OMAP5 shares the same IP for USB3 and SATA.
> > PHYs don't know about USB, SATA, Ethernet and whatnot. PHYs know
> > solely about the physical layer. Their work is just to generate the
> > proper electrical signals.
>
> Hmm. Is the current code in drivers/usb/phy/tegra_usb_phy.c not really
> a PHY driver, then? Tegra's USB PHY HW module definitely does know
> that it's specifically a USB PHY. It has direct knowledge of

knowledge of UTMI/ULPI doesn't mean it knows it's a USB PHY. SATA and
USB3 use the PIPE3 interface, which was designed, originally, for PCIe.

It's just that UTMI/ULPI only got used in USB scenario.

> UTMI/ULPI/... Instead, should the code be part of the EHCI driver,

no way, no. EHCI-core should be taught about PHYs instead.

> since the concept of a PHY known to drivers/usb/phy doesn't seem
> related to what the Tegra PHY HW actually is?

I disagree a PHY is a PHY, no matter if it's attached to a Host IP,
Device IP or DRD IP.

--
balbi