On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, James Stone wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, James Stone wrote:
> >
> >> I agree the original unable to submit urb bug has been fixed. I have
> >> gone through the output trace, but I can't see anything like you were
> >> suggesting.
> >>
> >> I can submit the whole file (700k) somewhere if you like?
> >
> > You can email it to me off-list.
> >
> Thanks!
>
> Here it is.

The file is clear enough, but I don't understand why things happened
the way they did.

The first half is audio-out only.  About 2 seconds after the start, the
audio-in stream starts up.  After 2 URBs (2 ms) of data, everything
is shut down for no apparent reason -- there were no I/O errors.

1/2 second after that, the audio-out stream starts up again, and a
little less than 1/2 second later, the audio-in stream starts too.
Once again, everything gets shut down down after only 2 audio-in URBs.

After another 1/2 second, the audio-out stream gets restarted once
more.  The trace ends a little less than 1/2 second after that, and
there is no more audio-in.

I can't tell whether all these starts and stops are caused by JACK or
by the ALSA layer, let alone figure out the reason for them.  Perhaps
running JACK under strace would help?  I have no idea -- this is out of
my league now.  Clemens is your best bet at this point.