On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 01:28:21PM -0500, Peter E. Berger wrote:
> From: "Peter E. Berger" <pber...@brimson.com>
>
> When using newer Edgeport devices such as the EP/416, idle ports are
> automatically bounced (disconnected and then reconnected) approximately
> every 60 seconds.  This breaks programs (e.g: minicom) where idle periods
> are common, normal and expected.
>
> I confirmed with the manufacturer (Digi International) that some Edgeports
> now ship from the factory with firmware that expects periodic "heartbeat"
> queries from the driver to keep idle ports alive.  This patch implements
> heartbeat support using the mechanism Digi suggested (periodically
> requesting an I2C descriptor address) that appears effective on Edgeports
> running the newer firmware (that require it) and benign on Edgeport
> devices running older firmware.  Since we know that Edgeport firmware
> version 4.80 (the version distributed in /lib/firmware/down3.bin and used
> for Edgeports that are either running still older versions or have no
> onboard non-volatile firmware image) does not require heartbeat support,
> this patch schedules heartbeats only on devices running firmware versions
> newer than 4.80.

Looks good now.

I did a quick test here with an Edgeport/1 and firmware version 4.80 and
5.32 (from digi's ftp) and do not see any disconnects with either
version even without this patch.

Is that expected? Is only EP/416 affected or are you seeing these
disconnects with even newer firmware than 5.32?

Thanks,
Johan