Hello Andrew,

> ES1-111M running BIOS v1.13 and have had no problems booting from an
> external USB stick to install Debian (using legacy mode -- I haven't
> tried UEFI).  It also worked fine under v1.10 (factory-installed).

Thanks, that's good to know. Btw, I'm also using legacy mode.
Maybe I should try UEFI to see if it makes a difference.

> Thanks so much to you all for looking into the USB issues on this
> system. My own 111M freezes at shutdown if 'noapic' is not specified on
> the (stock Debian 3.16.0-4) kernel command line and throws all sorts of
> EHCI errors otherwise so I look forward to the results of your efforts
> in due time.

The feeling that I might be the only one in the world having this
kind of problem with this model has been nagging at me for a while.
Thanks for letting me know that there are others.

cheers,
  Roland