On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2017, Bruce Korb wrote:
>> WRT "No way to do that without special hardware" perhaps I can
>> do the tracing on OS/X. Remember, that is still working. I could also
>> re-install openSUSE 42.1, but I won't. That would be too many
>> hours of work.
>
> No, you can't do it using only the computer, no matter what operating
> system or software you run.  The computer can only tell you what data
> it gets over the wire; it can't tell you what's happening in the
> stretch of wire between the hub and the mouse.  For that you need a USB
> bus analyzer.

Though I cannot sniff the port wires in and out of the hub, it
should be possible to detect what the drivers are saying to the
device and what it is getting back. The question would be,
"How are they different?" since they _have_ to be different.

> The fact that it works under OS/X means that Linux configures either
> the xHCI host controller or the hub incorrectly.  We need to know which
> and what it is doing wrong.

It may be because my MacBook is so old that it only has USB2.
Everything works correctly under Linux if I plug the hub into a
USB2 port. It just defeats the purpose of getting the USB3 vs USB2 hub.

So, if I could trace everything the driver sends down and gets back
both when connected to a USB3 and USB2 ports, would that not
come close to what would be needed to figure out how the driver
for the USB3 port is going south?