On Thu, 14 Sep 2017, Bruce Korb wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > A different approach that is much more likely to find the answer would
> > be to do a bisection between the 4.1 and 4.4 kernels.  That should be
> > able to find the particular change which caused things to stop working.
>
> There are a lot of tagged commits and I confess I do have time limits :(

The number of tagged commits has nothing to do with it.  Bisection
involves testing _all_ the commits.  (But not one at a time,
obviously!)

Yes, it does take time.  But it has a very high chance of finding the
answer.

> 2016-10-02 16:24:33 -0700  (tag: v4.8)  <<<<<< LIKELY FAILS

Didn't you say earlier that 4.4.85 definitely fails?  So there's no
need to worry about 4.8.