On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:06:16 +0000
David Laight <david.lai...@aculab.com> wrote:

> > The correct names used in the new specification for the 4 speeds that can
> > be supported by a USB 3
> > interface are: .
>
> I think I'd add the speed itself as well.
>
>       David

I was reffering mostly to the identifiers and comments used in the kernel
source code.

When the speeds are displayed to a user, e.g. in log messages or in the lsusb
output, you are of course right, the numeric speeds should also be shown.

Nevertheless, there is a problem with that.

The correct speeds would be:
"Gen 1x1 (4 Gb/s)", "Gen 1x2 (8 Gb/s)", "Gen 2x1 (10 Gb/s)",  and "Gen 2x2 (20
Gb/s)".

But we are forced to show "Gen 1x1 (5 Gb/s)", because this is what most users
expect.

There is a stupid tradition started by someone at Intel, I suppose from
marketing, who had the mean idea of presenting SATA 1.0 as 1.5 Gb/s and PCIe
1.0 as 2.5 Gb/s.

Before that, nobody thought that it would be right to present, e.g. Gigabit
Ethernet as having a speed of 1.25 Gb/s.

This deceitful method was used since then for all SATA and SAS, and also for
PCIe 2.0 and for USB 3.0.

In my opinion, we should display the USB 3 speeds so:

"Gen 1x1 (5 Gb/s)", "Gen 1x2 (8 Gb/s)", "Gen 2x1 (10 Gb/s)",  and "Gen 2x2 (20
Gb/s)".

While this might confuse some users about why Gen 1x2 is not shown as having a
double speed, I believe that the confusion created by seeing "Gen 1x2 (10
Gb/s)", i.e. as having the same speed as "Gen 2x1" will be worse, because the
users would be fooled in believing that a "Gen 1x2" device is worth the same
money as a "Gen 2x1" device, when in fact the latter is 25% faster.