On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 14:09:04 +0300
Felipe Balbi <felipe.ba...@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Actually, I think we should go the other way around:
>
> psic = read_psic_from_register();
>
> if (psic)
>       setup_supported_speeds_based_on_psic(xhci, psic);
> else
>       setup_supported_speeds_using_default_mappings(xhci);
>
> This should be enough to sort everything out (assuming no-quirky HW, of
> course). Even if a new spec is released defining a new default mapping
> for 10Gbps and/or adding 0x31 to SBRN, we really don't need to rely on
> that.
>
> Well, maybe we can rely on SBRN to append a new default
> mapping. Something like (also considering possible quirky hosts):

I also agree with this.

Meanwhile, the USB 3.2 specification has been published.

While much of it was already known, I was curious to see what names will be
used fothe additional interface speeds.

I really hoped that there will be no inventions of new words, such as
HyperEnhancedSuperSpeedExtraPlus.

Fortunately, they gave up on such names and they have chosen a more rational
approach.

Even if the following words are not officially deprecated, we should really
stop using them, because in the new specification they have become ambiguous
and their use conveys no useful information: "SuperSpeed", "Enhanced
SuperSpeed", "SuperSpeedPlus".

The correct names used in the new specification for the 4 speeds that can be
supported by a USB 3 interface are: "Gen 1x1", "Gen 2x1", "Gen 1x2" and "Gen
2x2".

In my opinion, when the speed related code from the xHCI driver will be revised
now, this opportunity should also be used to purge the junk names "SuperSpeed",
"Enhanced SuperSpeed" and "SuperSpeedPlus" and replace them with the 4 precise
names for the 4 speeds supported by USB 3.