On 11/29/2017 09:55 AM, Petko Manolov wrote:
On 17-11-29 09:35:04, Cameron Seader wrote:
On 11/29/2017 03:37 AM, Petko Manolov wrote:
On 17-11-29 06:11:22, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 07:51:06PM -0700, Cameron Seader wrote:
Greetings, The upstream kernel seems to be outdated with version 1.09.9
of the drivers/net/usb/r8152.c driver. There is newer hardware now which
requires the newer version where running with the old one becomes
unstable. For example the latest Dell Precision 5520 uses this driver. I
have currently tested the newest driver I can find which is dated
8/30/2017 at version 2.09.0.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=56&PFid=56&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#RTL8153

Attached is the driver.

I have compiled this newer driver on Kernel 4.14.1 on openSUSE
Tumbleweed and have been successful with no issues. It certainly is a
lot more stable than the previous which caused issues coming out of
sleep mode where it would drop the speed of the NIC to 100 and set it to
half duplex.

I'm asking that we please look at updating this driver in the latest
kernel.

Care to submit patches to update the existing in-kernel driver to provide
the support that this out-of-tree driver has?  That's the only way this is
going to happen :)

Magic firmware blobs in the source.  I love it... :)

Petko,
Does this mean your looking into this update?

Petko,
Are you submitting patches to update the existing in-kernel driver to this new one 2.09?

Cameron