On 11/29/2017 08:27 PM, Hayes Wang wrote:
Cameron Seader [mailto:csea...@suse.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:51 AM
[...]
The upstream kernel seems to be outdated with version 1.09.9 of the
drivers/net/usb/r8152.c driver. There is newer hardware now which
requires the newer version where running with the old one becomes
unstable. For example the latest Dell Precision 5520 uses this driver. I
have currently tested the newest driver I can find which is dated
8/30/2017 at version 2.09.0.

The versions of the vendor driver and upstream driver are different,
because I have to know which driver is used. The two drivers are almost
the same except that the upstream driver doesn't include the firmware.
Besides, the upstream driver 1.09.9 has supported the newest chips.

The vendor driver would be updated frequently. And I would submit the
patches to the upstream driver when I feel the settings are stable
enough.

I have experienced with kernel 4.14 and the driver 1.09.9 that when a system goes into sleep mode and then comes out of sleep that the network interface gets set to speed 100 in half duplex. I then have to manually set it back to full duplex and speed 1000. The 2.09.0 driver fixes this problem and the upstream 4.14 has this bug. So there seems to be something significantly different in the way the upstream driver handles coming out of sleep.

Cameron