On Tuesday 18 October 2005 10:14, Hadley Rich wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 10:08, Craig FALCONER wrote:
> > I am having problems with the mysql backend - I get errors like "client
> > cannot authenticate to database, upgrade your client"
> > Everything is mysql 4.1.14, which is the latest.
>
> This sounds like the client is trying to use the old MySql PASSWORD()
> function and the server is expecting the new PASSWORD() function (it
> changed in MySql 4.1).
>
> Have a look through your my.cnf for old_passwords and make sure it is set
> to 1.

Excuse the self reply, I hit send a little early.

Either that or set an old style password for the particular account you are
using to connect to MySql.  Something like this will do the trick:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('thepwd');

Don't forget to flush privileges afterwards.

You can find more info on this here
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/password-hashing.html

HTH

hads

--
The "glair" is the white (or clear) part of an egg. "Glair" comes from the
Latin clarus, meaning "clear."