From: Andrew Errington [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue 8/15/2006 4:21 PM
To: linux-users@it.canterbury.ac.nz
Subject: Re: Connect to Internet - where's the dial-up button?

> Can someone please instruct me on how to dial-up. Thanks.

Oh, crap.

Sorry Bryce, there has been some to-ing and fro-ing on dialup with another
CLUGger.  It ought to be simple, and often it is...

If you are using KDE then the thing you want is 'kppp'.  You will need to
configure the ISP number, username, password and what port your modem is on.

If you are using Gnome then you want 'Gnome ppp', except I don't use Gnome,
so I can't help you further.

These are just GUI 'wrappers' if you like, for interfacing you to pppd (the
PPP daemon).  An alternative, that runs 'underneath' or from the command
line, is wvdial.  After the install you might be automatically asked to
configure it.  If not, run wvdialconf.  This will look for your modem and
ask you all about your ISP settings.  Then it will (mostly) do the right
thing.

I hope this is enough to get you going.  Googling for kppp or wvdial should
get you further (once you get your modem connected to the net, of
course...).

<<winmail.dat>>