>> Make sure your friend understands that the value of an anti-static
wrist
>> strap is many orders of magnitude greater than its price.
>
>Oh yes.  Done that.  An anti-static strap was used.

When anti-static strap used did machine still have a good earth, or was
it unplugged?  If there is no earth I suspect anti-static strap won't
help unless hooked up to a good earth - someone please correct me if
this wrong.... and I'm not sure what you do with some motherboards these
days that don't completely power off until you disconnect the power
cord.

Regards, Bryce Stenberg.