On Wed 07 Jan 2009 20:23:06 NZDT +1300, Christopher Sawtell wrote:

> None, but as soon as your introduce the idea of a "fail trial"
> you bring the whole Justice and Corrections departments in on the Act.
> Do you _really_ want criminal convictions recorded against naive minors who
> are proven to have downloaded a few flicks and songs. I would not want that
> at
> all.

Wasn't the issue ISPs disconnecting customers, not court trials against
anyone?

> This whole discussion can be boiled down to the question:-

No it does not. That question is already answered in the affirmative.
The issue is the copyright mafia subverting the process of enforcement
away from the established channels and on to non-accountable private
business.

> Should people who devote a lot of time, effort, and  financial investment,
> which
> is not without risk, producing something either for the benefit or
> entertainment of other people receive a financial reward for so doing?

> In this connection note that the producers of the film Sione's Wedding ended
> up
> without any financial benefit whatsoever because spivs and shysters made
> illicit
> copies of the DVD and sold them in South Auckland flea markets.

Stay on the floor. For starters I fail to see how disconnecting Internet
customers impacts on flogging DVDs on Auckland flee markets, and then
you haven't established said flogging being the *cause* of said
financial disappointment or whether the movie may have been just boring.
In any case the correct response would be to deal with flee marketeers,
not ISPs.

But you won't be able to share your contemplations on copyright holder
business revenue much longer with us Chris, because as due process is
skipped, you can get on with your life outside of the Internet after
someone sets up their cron to send the same complaint several times to
your ISP (of a country reputed to be a lapdog to the Americans). Whether
the complaint is at all factual or you did appropriately pay for your
viewing of Sione's Wedding is not something anyone will be asking...

Have a nice day ;)

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.