On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, John Carter wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Stephen Irons wrote:

[1] Does anyone else read instruction manuals cover to cover? For pleasure? For devices you don't own, but are thinking of buying? For devices you aren't even thinking of buying?

Of course the flip side is I _strongly_ believe we should..

 * write our software so simply and clearly that nobody needs to read
   the manual!

 * write our manuals so that they are a pleasure to read, so they read
   them anyway.

 * where possible use webish interfaces so the software and (portions
   of the) manual is the same thing. (You should _never_ have to
   lookup up in the manual what a widget does, the context sensitive
   help should tell you all and more.)

 * write our code so no one needs to read the comments.

 * write our comments in a manner that makes our spirit and intention
   clear.

 * keep our spirits and intentions so simple and direct that our work
   may be reused for purposes we never dreamed of.

...leastways that's where I'm aiming.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.car...@tait.co.nz
New Zealand