Hmm.

I think if you want a netbook you should buy one.  Seriously, there's no
better answer.  You can have a quick play with them at Dickie's or Noel
Leeming, and some of them are available with Linux pre-installed (but not
from there).  Having said that, the Linux on the Aspire One is Linpus,
which is perhaps not the greatest.  Does it bother you to replace one
distro with another, or just not to get XP and replace it?

I bought the Aspire One because it is small and light.  It is literally
half the size and weight of the old ThinkPad 600X I happily hacked on.
Indeed, the old ThinkPad was totally adequate to most tasks I wanted it
for, not just surfing and word processing.  It was a bit slow, but I'll
use the netbook for the same things (i.e. everything), and it will be so
much faster, i.e. I am not conditioning myself to believe "it's a netbook,
it's only good for basic stuff".

As to which make and model, well, the specifications are all pretty much
the same.  Have a go on the keyboard to see if you (or your
customer/friend/mark) can deal with it.  The Aspire One keyboard is small
but good.  Some of the smaller models are a bit cramped (such as the
Toshiba NB100, but it's really cute).  The HP offering has more pixels on
its display (I think).  Watch out for the 8.9"/10" dichotomy.  In the case
of the Aspire One the 10" model has the same resolution as the 8.9", but
the physically bigger screen may be more readable.

Best wishes,

Andrew