I have been thinking of getting the Asus eeepc for my wife, who's only
use for a computer is email from her large number of siblings, and the
very occasional photo of assorted siblings offspring.
As I am not a geek but an end user the Asus makes sense.
Strong simple, they make good motherboards and laptops, reliable, and
comes with Linux
Cheap.
My reasons
Cheers Chris Thomas